This Monday, we'll be celebrating the birthdays of two important American presidents, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. We know that you might be shopping, but be sure to take some time to at least think about politics. Though the next presidential election isn't until 2012, our most successful political Sellers will be starting to prepare their stores soon. Check out the tips below to make sure that you can be in the running, too!
Cover all of your bases
- Maximize your earning potential by offering products for a variety of politicians. If you already have designs for the 2012 Presidential election, make something for the races in your state, or create products for politicians in the news. Double your customers' options by offering both pro-candidate and anti-opponent designs, just be sure that your products don't contradict one another. As we said before, shoppers like to buy from like-minded Sellers, so keep your stores separated by party.
- Hot topics in politics will most likely include the economy, taxes, immigration, and sustainability/green initiatives, so be sure to create content for those as well. Merchandise for current events has been known to show up in the Zazzle marketplace in as little as 20 minutes after the news breaks, so be sure to stay up-to-date!
Know your slogans and symbols
- You may use an image of a politician as long as you created it. The only exceptions are photos created by employees of the U.S. Government as part of their official duties. Such works are in the public domain, and may be used as long as they do not suggest endorsement. Politicians' public speeches are also in the public domain, so add some inspirational quotations, and your products will really stand out.
- Flags and ballot boxes are two popular symbols used in political product designs. Other ideas for images include spoofs of various political campaigns. Lots of anti-Obama gear, for instance, plays on the President's various campaign slogans.
Design a range of products
- While you may always use the Quick Create tool to offer your designs on every Zazzle product, some other product-specific ideas include prints of political cartoons, highly-stylized t-shirts, patriotic hats, and political bumper stickers. Door hanger ornaments and coasters are also a great way for shoppers to show support in their homes and offices. Political magnets, buttons, and stickers are also very popular. Regardless of what you design, make sure that your tags are as precise as possible, so that shoppers will find your products.
- Remember that red, white, and blue are not the only colors available for political designs. Use different hues in some of your products, and you may catch the eyes of shoppers looking for a less-than-traditional option.
Now that you've learned the basics of political design, here are some key political terms that may be searched in the coming months:
Design products to fit these phrases and you may experience a victory of your own!